Monday, November 27, 2006

Meeting Romeo Dallaire.


Tonight I had the privelege of attending a fundraising dinner organized by "Ubuntu Edmonton", which is a charity dedicated to helping widows in Rwanda rebuild and find purpose in their lives. Ubuntu was founded by a Canadian woman who now lives in Rwanda. The dinner was punctuated by ethnic dances performed by Rwanda orphans visiting Canada with the Ubuntu founder. The guest speaker was Senator Romeo Dallaire-a man that I have admired since reading his book, "Shake Hands with the Devil". I got to speak with him briefly and I thanked him for telling his story of what happened in Rwanda in 1994. He suffers from post-truamatic stress sydrome, takes anti-depressants and sleep medication at night due to the atrocities he witnessed in Rwanda. A peacekeeping mission gone so wrong forced him to arrive home with so much baggage. I was so humbled to meet this man. He thanked me for my "kind comments" about his book. And he signed my book, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca | sometimes you may needbeef bourguignon