Thursday, November 2, 2006

The Most Adored Food Holiday in all the land.....




is fast approaching. (That's Christmas in our family.) Homemade eggnog. English Trifle. Cherry Balls. Fruitcake. Gumdrop Cake. Nanaimo Bars. I am so excited that my parental units will be arrving just in time for my mother's magic touches to grace a few of these family treats. I don't why, but although I have watched her make these things a million times and I have HER actual recipes, my versions just don't look or taste the same. My mother's christmas baking could put Martha Stewart's to shame. In fact, there are many great bakers in my family. My Aunt Janet's nanaimo bars were second to none. My Uncle Derrick makes incredible carrot cake, pies and pastry wrapped apples. I found this great quote on one of my favorite food blogs-

We preserve people by making the dishes they taught us. Dishes they loved, were proud of, and gave us permission to start making when their hands stopped working. Sharing food with others is about tradition. About a desire to reach in and pull close. About re-remembering. Closing our eyes and taking us there.

Let the food holiday begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca | sometimes you may needbeef bourguignon