Saturday, December 2, 2006

the christmas list.


Hunter came downstairs a few days ago with her "Christmas List". There were only 3 items on her list- but the first thing that I noticed was that there were no toys. For the first time since she has been able to talk, this is the first Christmas that she has asked for stuff that didn't include toys. We knew this day would come-that she, and someday her brother, would close a few chapters on childhood. But it wasn't something I was thinking about until the list appeared. We are feeling a little sad about this. She did ask for clothes for her American Girl doll. But there was no special toy. No barbies. No bratz. No polly pockets. A lululemon sweater is the coveted item on the list. We had never heard of Lululemon until we moved to this city.Lululemon is a Canadian company which is headquartered in Vancouver and is famous for it's yoga wear. The yoga wear is also a favorite of skaters and dancers-the two worlds that our daughter lives in when not in school. On any given synchro practice night, you can see several Lululemon sweaters and headbands whirling around on the ice. It's the number 1 item on Hunter's list- "preferably pink or black" it says. Lululemon is not cheap. We have visited the store a few times, but I gasp every time I look at the prices and walk out empty-handed. But what is it about that Christmas feeling? You just want to make at least one of your child's wishes appear under the tree. Ron took one look at the list(when she was in school) and said "Go get her the Lululemon." So off I go.

While I am in the store, with it's new age edgey decor, I start reading the story boards on the wall about the Lululemon philosophy. Lululemon is a memeber of the FairTrade Organization. This means that it's yoga line is made in overseas factories which are inspected for safe work practices such as proper lighting, fresh air, first aid kits, regularly scheduled breaks, fair wage scales, to name a few. Things we take for granted in this country. Now this is something that I can feel good about. I know that this clothing is not made in a sweat shop in some foreign country which uses child labour. Unlike Gap, or Tommy Hilfiger or Walmart. This puts me in a better shopping mood. I leave the store with mission accomplished.

Now I wonder how many more years it will be before Tyler makes a Christmas list without a toy. I can't imagine what he will ask for when that Christmas comes, but I am sure it won't be Lululemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca | sometimes you may needbeef bourguignon