Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Have You Tried 'Maritime Brown Bread'? It's Heaven On Earth.

I would have to say without question that the favourite bread of Maritimers is brown bread.
Made with molasses and rolled oats... it has a slightly sweet taste.
It has been traditionally served with baked beans for a Saturday night or Sunday supper.
My Grandmother Ada, who was born in 1915, remembers her mother soaking beans and making brown bread on Saturday night so that Sunday could be a day of rest.
And when I was a child, the call of fresh brown bread from the oven would cause a stampede to the kitchen by my brother & I. And my father would always have a slice with butter with his supper at the end of the work day.
It also makes the best toast on planet earth.
When I met an old high school friend for a beer this summer in Nova Scotia, he told me that takes brown bread from Nova Scotia back to Alberta{his home for the last 20+ years} with him when he visits in the summer.
And another old high school friend told me that she takes this bread back to Texas with her too.
For Maritimers, brown bread is a part of us...a comfort food and a taste that we long for, no matter what part of the world we live in.
The hallmark of this bread is a texture with large holes which provides its tenderness and wonderful mouth feel.
And you must have it with salted butter. That's just the rule!
***
The recipe I most often use for brown bread is a recipe for the breadmaker.
I like that it takes 5 minutes to dump in the ingredients, and then I walk away until the loaf is done a few hours later.
The downside of the breakmaker recipes is that it only makes one loaf.
And my kids have been know to fight over the slices and who has eaten how many!

Put ingredients in the order listed in the breakmaker:
1.5 cups water, 1 tablespoon less if rainy day
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup molasses {Crosby's Fancy Molasses}
2 Tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cupes flour
2 teaspoons yeast

I set my breakmaker on the wholewheat setting which takes 4 hours and 10 minutes.
Do not be discouraged if the bread doesn't turn out on the first try.
Try changing the bread setting or check the yeast.
I have had 'fails' before and I keep trying!

I am learning more and more of facebook friends who are reading my blog.
This really surprises me!
I want to say thank you so much to all of you!
Thank you from the bottom to the top of my heart!
I am humbled, and flattered beyond measure.
I often question why I blog. Some days I am not sure.
It has become a creative outlet for me as it combines so many things that I love...but most of all sharing.
I love sharing ideas, recipes, photos, crafts and projects.
And I find that the blogging world has helped to inspire me in so many ways.
I try new recipes.
I take on new projects.
For me, it adds to the fun of creating a house & home for my family!



This post is linked to these terrific parties:

UndertheTableandDreaming















No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca | sometimes you may needbeef bourguignon