Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Camping Cuisine Part 2: Food Prep & Chicks on Sticks

Before I get to the recipe portion of this post,
I want to mention how food prep for camping is a girl's best friend.
I start with a menu plan for each meal that will be required for our stay.
And I create a grocery list based on my meal plan.
Pretty basic planning...but it helps the trip go smoothly.
 I make sure to wash and prep all the vegetables and store in ziploc bags.
On the left are vegetables for dipping for snacks. On the right are vegetables for chicken kebabs.
Here are onions and mushrooms prepped for our steak night.
I also take containers of other meal ingredients that we will need.
Fruit washed and cut up for quick camping snacks.
I don't waste money buying small sizes of condiments from the grocery store.
I just scoop out different things from the big sizes already in our fridge and store in small containers to put in the cooler.
And I am sure to label, label, label!!
And now for 'Chicks on Sticks'.
Seriously. That is the name of the recipe.
I didn't come up with that name on my own...it's comes from those crazy Canadian sisters Janet & Greta Podleski who co-wrote a series of cookbooks that I love.
It's basically a marinade for chicken for kebabs.
One reason I love their cookbooks is that many of their recipes require ingredients that I usually have on hand. No special trips to the grocery store needed.
The marinade is a really tasty asian mix.
Chick on Sticks
 
Ingredients:
2 tbsp. each sodium reduced soya sauce and brown sugar
1 tbsp. each olive oil and grated lemon zest
2 gloves garlic, minced
1 large shallot, minced ( I used red onion)
1-1/2 tsp. grated ginger
1 tsp. each cumin and ground coriander
4 chicken breast halves.

Directions:
Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
Cut chicken into kebab size pieces.
Place chicken pieces in a ziploc bag.
Pour marinade over chicken pieces.
Have your 9 yr. old son smush the marinade all over the chicken.
Place in freezer.
Now your meal is ready to go into the cooler for your camping trip.
When preparing this meal, simply thaw the chicken by placing it on the top of the cooler.
Thread the chicken pieces with the washed and ready-to-go-veggies on skewers.
Grill each side about 5-6 minutes or until chicken looks cooked and juices run clear.

If you liked this recipe, here are some other amazing camping recipes:
 
And check out these boards on Pinterest:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca | sometimes you may needbeef bourguignon