Monday, March 21, 2011

Menu Plan Monday & A Recipe for Corn Chowder...

     I had a craving for a nice bowl of homemade corn chowder after I read Laura's meal plan for Menu Plan Monday a few weeks ago over at her blog "I'm an Organizing Junkie".
So I decided to make corn chowder for our family.
My hubby, although he loves soup, is not a fan of chowders, {Gasp! A Maritimer who doesn't like chowders!} so I tend to make chowders when he is travelling for work.
I expected the kids to bawk a bit at the mention of corn chowder for supper....but surprise, surprise...they each ate 3 bowls! I love when that happens!
There are times when I really wish that I had paid more attention when my Mom made chowders.
No born and bred self-respecting Maritimer would ever use a recipe for a chowder.
But it helps to watch an expert at work!

Corn Chowder

4 medium potatoes
2 large carrots
1 large onion
2 staulks celery
2 cans of corn niblets
2 cans of cream of corn
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of evaporated milk
2 cups of skim milk

Chop potatoes in large dice or rough chop. Prepare carrots, onion and celery  in small dice. Place these 4 ingredients in large pot and cover with just enough water. Bring to boil and turn back to medium heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender.  Do not drain off water. Add 2 cans of corn niblets, 2 cans of cream of corn and cream of mushroom soup. Add salt & pepper to taste. Then add milk or cream of your choice depending on how rich you want the broth to be. I used a can of evaporated milk and finished off with about 2 cups of skim milk. {Maritimers tend to use a can of evaporated in their chowders because it adds creaminess without a lot of calories and there is usually always a can in the pantry.}

This meal is great served with fresh-from-the-oven biscuits and a green salad with a simple viniagrette. And I always like my chowder topped with a dash of freshly ground pepper.

This week our family will be eating:

Monday
Spaghetti & Meat Sauce

Tuesday
Corn Chowder & Fresh Biscuits

Wednesday
Chicken Breasts on a bun with jalapeno havarti cheese & caesar salad.

Thursday
Shepherd's Pie & veggies & dip

Friday
Bratwurst Sausage on buns with home fries.

Saturday
Dad cooks.

This post is linked to:



No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca | sometimes you may needbeef bourguignon