Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Camping Cuisine Part 3: 'For Goodness Steak'

Well, I was in the process of sharing some camping cuisine recipes when I so rudely left in the middle of the sharing to go.....ahem.....camping. So here I am...ready to share some of my ideas for good grub when you are camping in the wild.

So,  if you missed Camping Cuisine Part 1, where I shared the recipe for our favourite picnic sandwich {shown below}, please click here.
For Camping Cuisine Part 2, where I shared the recipe for 'Chicks on Sticks' {shown below}and food prep suggestions,  please click here.
The next recipe I want to share for easy camping fare is a recipe for an asian-flavoured steak marinade called
 'For Goodness Steak'.
Again, this recipe comes from those crazy, goofy Canadian sisters, Janet & Greta Podleski, and their book 'Crazy Plates'. It just requires you to mix up a quick & easy marinade to toss on steak in a ziploc bag to freeze for later use on the camping trip.

For Goodness Steak
1.5 pounds boneless top sirloin steak, about 1.5 inches thick
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 tbsp. steak sauce (use whatever is in your fridge)
2 tbsp. lime juice and packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. grated gingerroot
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Trim any excess fat from meat. Pierce meat in several places with fork. ( I had my 9 yr. old do the fork piercing.) Place steak in Ziploc bag.
Combine all  marinade ingredients in a small bowl and pour over steak in ziploc bag, and smoosh all around. {My 9 yr.old did this.}
Toss into freezer until ready to take camping. Then place in cooler when you leave for camping. Let steak thaw on top of the cooler for same day cooking.
To Grill: Remove steak from marinade and grill over hot coals or gas grill for 4-5 minutes per side, or until desired doneness is reached. Brush with leftover marinade while grilling.
When done, remove steak from heat and let 'rest' for a few minutes before slicing.
The steak turns into this wonderful meal. We had our steak with a caesar salad. The steak was really tasty and juicy. Everyone had happy tummies!
And of course, the whole reason for camping....the happy pink glow in the childrens' cheeks.
Here is my 'sous chef' enjoying his morning fried egg sandwich with bacon....made by Dad.
Did I mention that while I do all the food prep for camping, my husband then takes over and does all of the actual cooking while we are camping?
Yes. I love him.

Food eaten in the fresh air is so very good!

To Read Part 4: Camping Cuisine: Blueberry & Cream Cheese Dessert, click here.
 
If you liked this recipe, here are some other amazing camping recipes:

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca | sometimes you may needbeef bourguignon