Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Getting Ready for Crazy Times Ahead: Kid-Friendly & Ready To Eat Meals in Minutes

Fall is so busy with after school activities.I see crazy times ahead. Both my children are heavily entrenched in winter sports.For my daughter.....it's synchronized skating and figure skating.For my son....it's hockey.Both will be out of the house after school a few evenings a week for their sports.This leaves me with the task of feeding them nutritious food that is ready at the quick and can be eaten in minutes.

I was doing my daily round of blog reading this morning and enjoying the parade of recipes at Balancing Beauty & Bedlam when I came upon this idea for healthy burritos for the freezer from "Eat At Home" blog. I loved the idea, so after my walk this morning, I decided to hit Costco to pick up the things I needed to put this idea into action.

Burritos are the perfect food for a hearty after school snack that will tide a child over for a few hours, or it can also be a dinner. Or just eaten whenever!
Although the original idea I saw was for bean & rice burritos,  I know that my family prefers beef burritos...so I made those instead. I picked up some organic brown rice and a big package of flour tortillas. {36}, and a $10 package of lean ground beef at Costco.
I started cooking the brown organic rice according to package directions. I made 9 cups of rice.
I placed the ground beef in the frying pan and added:
1 onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
3/4 cup  Clubhouse taco seasoning {I added 1/2 cup at first, then adjusted it up}
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 tbsp. regular chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt & pepper
{I hope my husband isn't reading this...but I put in a can of mashed black beans too....for extra fiber.}
I found this can of enchilada sauce in my pantry, so I added one can just to add a little more flavour.
When the rice was finished cooking, I mixed it with the ground beef mixture in a big bowl.
Then Hunter and I stuffed  & rolled the burritos and added shredded cheddar.
 I rolled the burritos individually in saran wrap.
And all the burritoes went into bags for the freezer.
I also had some ground beef & rice mixture left to go in the freezer as well.
To serve: Heat in the microwave for a minute or two {depends on your micro wattage.}
Add salsa and sour cream as desired.

Only 32  of my 36 burritos made it into the freezer.
The others were kidnapped before they made it to the saran wrap stage.

The only way that today could have been better was if my Mother was here to help me! She is the queen of the freezer and a master at pre-planning meals!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca | sometimes you may needbeef bourguignon