Friday, February 11, 2011

A Baked Treat For Valentine's Day....

So tonight I am invited out for a girls' dinner and a scrapbook evening. {smile}.
I wanted to make something for little hostess gifts...and this is what I came up with.
Homemade cookies in a pretty package.
It really looks like a jar of preserves...but surprise.... cookies.
I have been saving these jars to use for some kind of food project.
I could use canning jars...but I like to save those for canning.
These jars are free.
I peeled off the labels and washed them with hot soapy water and an SOS pad.
It took a little elbow grease...but I got these nice clean jars.
I took the lids and spray-painted them black.
Then I got out my scrapbooking supplies and played around to make some bands to pretty up the jars.
This is what I built for bands...
I used scrapbook papers cut into 1.25 inches wide X 12 inches long strips to go around the jars.
{I pre-measured and it just worked out that 12 inches in length was perfect...lucky}
Red ribbon was attached to the top of the paper strips and punched flowers and foam hearts from the dollar store added the final touch.
Then I made chocolate dream cookies...a favourite at our house.
{You can find the recipe here.}
I decorated the cookies with Valentine's Day sprinkles.
Then the jars were filled with freshly made cookies...each jar held a half dozen.
I placed a square of red tissue paper in the bottom of the jar before the cookies went in.
{And really...you could just use goody bags to put cookies in, but I find that the cookies always get crushed.}
The lids that I spray-painted earlier in the day weren't dry and still smelled like paint at 3pm.
Drats!
 I decided not to stress over that....so I improvised.
I used tin foil and elastics to close up the jars....hence the homemade preserves 'look'.
I think they still look pretty swell.

I made 6 jars in total.
I plan to give out a few tonight as hostess gifts.
And I will take some over to a friend who was in a car accident yesterday and is feeling really sore today.
Hunter would like to give one to her skating coach too.
So poof...the jars of cookies will be gone by tomorrow.
But it made for a great day of fun...except I missed my mother...who is 3000 km away.
If she were here, the cookies would have tasted better and the packages would have looked prettier.
Cause to me....SHE is the original Martha.



This post is linked to:

The Girl Creative

giveaways



lil luna link party buttonmmm button



UndertheTableandDreaming



Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots & Jello


No comments:

Post a Comment

i'am author of old country buffet coupons
that give mcdonalds coupons
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from 
banana nut bread paula deen
almond roca | sometimes you may needbeef bourguignon